Blog post 1: the estuary - Aidan Kruse

 I was not expecting to learn so much in such a short amount of time, about marine environments. I am pleasantly surprised! I have never heard about estuaries or even thought about fresh water meeting salt water, I found it interesting that it doesn’t all mix together because of the salinity and the density of each water. One other thing I found interesting or maybe somewhat icky, is that there are eels that swim up the river for protection when they are young and then out to the ocean to mate. I’m not sure where I thought eels were/lived but next time I’m swimming in a river I will certainly be thinking about it a lot more. I have been loving the ocean so far and saw a jellyfish for the first time just today, Carmen got stung which was less exciting but they were such a pretty purple color. I was also shocked how dirty the ocean was when we went on our day trip. It made me sad that so much plastic was visibly floating in the water. Besides the creepy eels and plastic problem, I am so excited to learn more about marine biology and do more excursions as well.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marine biology of the Mediterranean - Francesca Conway

Blog Post 3-Snorkeling

Scuba Diving, Oceanographic Museum, & Cars