Blog Post #2 Seiche/Cuttlefish

 Before this week I had never attended a fish market. It’s been a long time since I’ve eaten fish or shellfish so it was interesting to see what the French caught locally to supply the neighborhood. Walking past each vendor, I was surprised to see that there were a couple of dead cuttlefish on the tables. I am familiar with people eating calamari or squid, but I have to say I was a little dismayed to see that this animal was on the menu. I’ve only ever seen videos of them in the water and they are so beautiful. They have the capability to camouflage not only their colors but the texture of their skin as well. Maybe I am biased because octopus is my favorite sea creature and cuttlefish are so similar, but it was a little heartbreaking for me to see it. Aside from feeling this way, I noticed the vendors were very friendly and interested to know where we came from and even reached out to my partner and I speaking English, so I felt very welcome. I will include the cuttlefish being sold and what it normally looks like in the ocean. 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marine biology of the Mediterranean - Francesca Conway

Blog Post 3-Snorkeling

Blog post 3 - Julianne Stivers